Friday, August 6, 2010

Training: 101

Shopping List:

Poster Board
Sharpies
Stickers
M&M's
"Big girl" panties
Pull-ups

Can you guess what we are attempting this weekend?!


With help from Elmo, of course, we are...

POTTY TRAINING!!!


And already, on our first night, I'm discouraged. And a bit scared.

Rylie has been giving us all of the "right" signs that she is ready to be done with diapers and move on to "big girl" panties (or so we thought). She was talking about the potty and would often times run to the bathroom, frantically try to pull down her pants, and shout, "POTTY-POTTY!" Within the last few months, we have been casually taking her to the potty in the mornings...and she actually went, several times. She seemed proud, confident and brave. So to be honest, I thought this was going to be "easy".

Call me crazy. But I was ready to start. Prepared. And Eager.

I made a "potty chart". Bought a bag of M&M's to serve as her "reward" for going in the potty. Purchased "big girl" panties. Pull-ups for the night. And reserved a seat on our couch for the weekend. We weren't planning on leaving the house and even though I forgot to buy a timer...my plan was to take her to her potty every 30 minutes and help teach her that wearing a diaper is only temporary. :)

After showing her the potty chart and walking through the steps with Elmo, I was very excited and giggled a little when she walked away wearing only her panties. She had two accidents tonight. Expected? Yes. But the last accident left her terrifed! And I mean...terrified! And from that point on, tonight, she would not even let me put the panties back on her. She threw them. Screamed. And wanted nothing to do with the potty. And the last thing I want is to push her and scare her away even more.

So now...I'm left confused?! Do I wait until she is showing more signs and try again later? Or do I push through and attempt it again first thing tomorrow morning?!

I do understand that what works for some mommies might not work for others. And what works for some children might not work for others. And I do trust that, along with the obvious guidance from the parents, the child will eventually learn that diapers are much less appealing than they once thought.

But tonight. The diaper reigns.

And this discouraged mommy is tired. :(

Good night, friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment