Monday, November 9, 2009

Today...my Heart Aches.

Right this very second (and for the past several hours) a one year old boy is undergoing a major heart surgery. And although my heart is hurting like I've known him his entire life, the reality is that I've never even met him. But daily, I read his story on his mom's blog. My heart is simply aching for this family. Stellan is his name...and he is beautiful! He was diagnosed with a heart condition while still in his mother's womb and it was predicted that he would not survive. But one year later, he lives. And he lives as a testimony to how great God is and how powerful prayer can be. Reading Stellan's story has been touching. I get a lump in my throat when I see pictures of this poor little guy, blonde hair and blue eyes, lying limp in his mother's arms and feel anxious when I read that he is having a bad day. However, I also get to feel the excitment when I read that he has come out of SVT and is able to, once again, joyfully play with his older siblings. And although I don't understand the exact meaning of "SVT", I know that it's scary...to say the least. And I wish to not go any further with his story in fear that I will not give it the justice that it deserves.

But today...today I pray. I pray for Stellan. His will to survive. And for his family. I pray that the doctor's wisdom and experience help guide them through a successful surgery. I pray that Stellan is healthy enough to make it through another ablation. I pray that God is with his family and He helps calm their fears and gives them the strength they need to get through today.

Today...today I thank God. I thank God for my daughter's health. For my comfort. And for my family's wellbeing. I thank God for the birth of Tess' baby girl. And I thank God for just being the awesome Father that He is.

In Jesus' precious name, I pray...

Amen.

4 comments:

  1. Can you believe...a home run! God Rocks~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I follow her blog as well. I feel like I know her family. I was so stressed yesterday and was following her blog and tweets all day long. My heart dropped when she said that Stellan's heart stopped beating at one point yesterday morning. Stellan is the sweetest cutest baby boy. I had to check last night when I got home and was so happy when I saw that his surgery was a success. Yea for Stellan and his family.

    P.S. I don't know how she went through yesterday at the hospital by herself. What a strong women.

    Alisha Pennington

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. VT = supraventricular tachycardia = scary regardless of how old a person is but really bad in kids

    Watching kids going through surgery, and anesthesia in my instance is always scary but very rewarding at the same time.

    Every day before going to the OR area, I say the Prayer of Saint Francis (I feel like it reminds me to be as positive and giving as I can each day and brings me a sense of calm)

    Prayer of Saint Francis of Assisi

    Lord, make me an instrument of your peace.
    Where there is hatred, let me sow love;
    where there is injury,pardon;
    where there is doubt, faith;
    where there is despair, hope;
    where there is darkness, light;
    and where there is sadness, joy.

    O Divine Master,
    grant that I may not so much seek
    to be consoled as to console;
    to be understood as to understand;
    to be loved as to love.
    For it is in giving that we receive;
    it is in pardoning that we are pardoned;
    & it is in dying that we are born to eternal life.

    ReplyDelete